26 September 2006

pier 1

i was in Pier 1 yesterday, doing some shopping for the cafe. and as i walked in, i looked around, and my heart sank. has anyone been there lately? it's a completely different store! it looks nothing like the Pier 1 that i so loved. the more i walked around, the more disheartening it became. the stuff they have is close to hideous. it's so modernly wierd and most of it is all black and white. no more warm wooden earth tones with a rustic flare. no more beautiful dishes or mirrors that you coveted for your house. i don't know what their goal is, but i know that i'm no longer buying from them. they don't even carry the basic of all basic dishes that they had for years and years. i registered for them when we got married because they were neutral and since they've always carried them, i knew they'd always be available. not so. i found a few mugs and bowls stashed away in a corner with clearance tags on them. i never got around to really build up my collection, and now i never will. it's sad. i used to love to walk in and browse around. it was so relaxing to get ideas for your house or pick up something small once in a while. i wrote them and complained. i told them how disappointed i was and why, and that until they changed back, they've lost a faithful customer. we'll see what they say. i'm bummed out. if you haven't been there lately, check out their website. www.pier1.com if you've always loved the store, prepare yourself. you might be just as sad as i am.

8 comments:

Matt H said...

Is this spelling the not-too-distant death of our generation's worthy aesthetic? You know, old things, eath tones, etc.??? How sad if so... =(

Matt and Alicia DeWever said...

Laura,
I feel your frustration. Stay close to your computer, and check out www.replacements.com for additional pieces to your dinnerware set. They seem to have it all! I was in a total consumer mood today as well, so I stopped into Marshall's. No luck, nothing... unless I totally gave in to stupid kitch or superfluous flair. I can only keep so many dish towels or cloth napkins. Love you, girl. Kiss your tummy for me :)

Cynthia said...

Oh sad! I must say I loved going into Pier 1 myself.. but being on the OTHER side of the world- I cannot experience that frustration.. but, I'm sure it will be disheartening when I return in 3 months- thanks for the warning!

Meg said...

Hey Lar! I know what you mean it has changed...but I was just in there last weekend,and found some cute stuff. But your right over all its just not "cozy" anymore...hopefully they take your advice and change!!! Can't wait to see you next weekend!

ashley said...

all i have to say is: total downer.

i was in there a week ago and the ONLY good thing left is there candles and stuff on clearance.

we outta start a petition!!

Laura Siegrist said...

i'm glad to know i'm not the only one disappointed! thanks for the site alicia, i'll check it out! at least target still has nice stuff...i could wander around there for hours too!

ashley said...

la--to answer your question--no, that's not one of my paintings. i can't paint that "free" yet. that's a picture from united airlines. they have the COOLEST pics on their website, belive it or not :)

Anonymous said...

Laura,

Hey friend! Well, what did you think of Lost Season 3 Premiere last night? To be honest, I was somewhat disappointed. Dont' get me wrong, I am still very enthusiastic about the show, but I was expecting a little bit more continuity with the last episode of Season 2....what did you think?

Well, bye for now!